Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer and a chance for Americans to honor those that made it possible for this great nation to be what it is.
It is extremely hard to figure out where the tradition began but General John Logan in May 1865 was among the first to put out a call for nationalization of America’s war dead.
Delaware County continues that tradition this year with many communities continuing the tradition honoring those that have given their life for the American cause.
We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.
Sunday, May 27, 2012
- Delaware, 3 p.m., Soldiers Circle, Oak Grove Cemetery
Monday, May 28, 2012
- Radnor, 8 a.m., Breakfast at Radnor United Church of Christ; 10 a.m., Parade ends at Cemetery for ceremony, Hog roast to follow by Radnor Fire Department at Community Center
- Plain City, 9 a.m., parade, elementary school to Bigelow Cemetery
- Westerville, 9:45 a.m., parade from the corner of State Street and College Avenue, pause at the old National Guard Armory on State, then proceed to Otterbein Cemetery
- Powell, 10 am., Parade followed by memorial ceremony at Greater Powell Veterans Memorial.
- Sunbury, 10 a.m., Parade, J.R. Smith Park
- Dublin, 11 a.m., procession from Bridge Pointe Center to Dublin Cemetery with wreath-throwing ceremony on the Bridge Street bridge. 11:30 a.m., ceremony at Dublin Cemetery. Noon, commemoration at Grounds of Remembrance in Veterans Park with speaker Alex Rozanski, military veteran and brother of Capt. Nicholas Rozanski, an Ohio National Guardsman killed in Afghanistan in April. 12:30 p.m., free picnic lunch on the grounds of the Dublin Library.
- Galena, 1 p.m., Village Square
So thank a veteran today for giving some – or better yet – get out to one of these events and honor those veterans that gave it all during a war.
Toby Boyce is the president and Broker for C.G. Boyce Real Estate Co. He has been in real estate since 2006 and has earned the Graduate of Realtors Institute, Certified Real Estate Mentor, Short Sale / Foreclosure Resource, among others.